Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A new net for us all.

Hmm, girls confuse me.. always have.. and Im guessing unless I stupidly decide to fork out a ridiculous amount of money and become one; always will.

The 'new girl' at work.. who isn't really new because she's done some part time shabang with Aplus a while back, bemuses me. She was assigned the task of setting up a test webserver so we could fdisk the old one and start over.

Quote of the day: Me- so what type of control panel is it running at the moment? Ben- at the moment?? Its running the ben and don panel.

..so back to my thoughts, willow brought up the one she thought best (a windows solution hehe) mostly (well at least thats what her email said) because we could put the company logo in it, and it looked easy to use.

Mental note: big bright buttons and gaudy icons = very hard to understand

but to cut a long blog short, I ended up going over to give her a hand fixing up IIS.. the first time, and then with the next cpanel, and the next. Microsoft is an ass. Then yesterday, she basically sat watching while I installed 3 others, attempting to get server 2003 into gear. I don't mean to insult her or anything, but having 2 people working on 1 computer for a day is very inefficient.. I'd generally try to let her do a bunch when it was all installs and such, but you'd think she would do a little more 'work creation' like I do ... (General plan - emails on ros's comp, backups, portal backup, washing dishes, cleaning bins, cleaning up test desk in no particular order.)

I normally don't like to have to ask people what to do when I've run out, just because then they have to run around and find something, thereby disturbing thier own work.

.. I eventually found something to do, set up an apache server with MySQL, PHP, ActivePerl and PHP MyAdmin ... only to find out that WAMP does exactly the same thing.. in about 5 minutes. I highly recommend it. Even if it does make you feel like a bogan.

Can't wait til neil and ros get back from thier holiday... Im supposed to be getting my broadband upgraded from crappy 256k. Laugh while you can.

>EOF<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home